When Are Dental Crowns Needed?
Dental crowns are one of the oldest and most versatile treatments available. As both a cosmetic and restorative treatment, they continue to be among the most reliable methods to fix a broken, damaged, stained or decayed tooth. The dentists at Corporate Center Dental Care in Lexington, KY, offer crowns and bridgework for a range of dental problems.
A New Smile with Dental Crowns in Lexington, KY
Also known as caps, dentists rely on crowns to fix a number of dental problems. The most common uses for crowns include:
- Cap a broken or cracked tooth
- Restore a tooth after treatment for tooth decay and cavities that are too large to fill with a regular dental filling
- Replace a missing tooth as part of a dental bridge
- Strengthen a weak or damaged tooth
- Complete a tooth restoration with a dental implant
- Seal a tooth after a root canal
- Cosmetic repair for teeth that have been stained or discolored as a result of trauma, or from taking certain medications
According to the American Dental Association (ADA), crowns can be made from a number of different materials:
- Composite resin (mixture of glass and plastic)
- Metal alloys
- A combination of materials
When a crown is used to replace a missing tooth, it is designed as part of what is called a bridge, which consists of two anchor crowns that fit over the teeth on either side of the missing tooth (known as abutment teeth) to hold the crown securely in place. After a dental exam and comprehensive evaluation, a dentist at Corporate Center Dental Care in Lexington will determine what type of crown will be the most effective and design it to match the texture and color of the patient's natural teeth for the most comfortable and cosmetically attractive fit.
Find a Dentist in Lexington, KY
For more information on the cosmetic and restorative dentistry procedure that is right for you, contact Corporate Center Dental Care by calling (859) 223-4644 to schedule an appointment with a dentist today.