If you’re missing even a single tooth, it can have a significant impact on your smile. Even if that space is located in the back of your mouth where no one can see it, it can still affect your oral health. Remaining teeth may shift to try and fill in the gap, and you might have a hard time chewing some of your favorite foods. Fortunately, there is a simple solution to replace not just the crown, but your entire missing tooth – getting an implant-retained crown. Keep reading to learn more about what an implant crown in Lexington is and how it can benefit you.
Implant-Retained Crowns – Lexington, KY
Replace the Entirety of Your Missing Tooth
Why Choose Dental Wellness of Lexington for Implant-Retained Crowns?
- Entire Procedure Performed Under One Roof
- Nationally Recognized as Experts in Dental Implants
- Sedation Dentistry Guarantees a Painless Experience
How Single Implant Restoration Works
First, one of our dentists will place a dental implant directly into your jawbone. This biocompatible titanium post perfectly replicates the structure of your lost tooth root. Luckily, our dentists have the advanced training necessary to perform this procedure in-house without having to refer you to an outside specialist. Over the next few months, the implant will stimulate new bone growth and fuse to the jawbone in a truly remarkable process called osseointegration. Once this process is complete, we perform another minor surgery to install the abutment, which is a metal connector piece that anchors your crown to your implant. After you’ve healed from that, we can place your custom-made, completely lifelike dental crown on top, completing your smile like the missing piece of a puzzle.
Benefits of Implant-Retained Crowns
Although replacing a single missing tooth with a dental bridge is a less costly and quicker option, it has many drawbacks. For one, it only replaces the crown, not the root of the tooth. In addition, the adjacent teeth must be filed down to place crowns. Implant-retained crowns, on the other hand, come with several advantages:
- Support for surrounding teeth. Since the implant stimulates the jawbone, your remaining teeth are less likely to be weakened and fall out down the road.
- No reduction of healthy teeth. Dental implants don’t require that enamel be removed from healthy teeth. In fact, surrounding teeth become more firmly embedded in the jawbone.
- While a dental bridge needs to be replaced every decade or so, a dental implant in Lexington has the potential to last for the rest of your life.
- Stability and strength. Because implants are anchored in the jawbone, they essentially become a part of you. They are more attached to you than a bridge could ever hope to be.
Am I a Good Candidate for a Single Implant-Retained Crown?
In order for us to successfully place a dental implant, your mouth must be healthy and free of infections like gum disease. You also must have a strong jawbone. If that’s not the case due to bone deterioration that comes with tooth loss, we can graft artificial bone tissue onto the area to strengthen it. It may add a few months of healing time to your dental implant journey, but it will ultimately be worth it to have a sturdy smile that stands the test of time.
Are you ready to finally fill that gap in your smile? Contact your dentist in Lexington today to schedule a consultation!