For patients who are missing one, a few, or an entire arch of teeth, dentures can be a life-changing restorative option. However, their shorter lifespan, uncomfortable movement, and high-maintenance cleaning regimen cause many patients to make the transition to dental implants. After all, they have a whopping 95% success rate and can last 20+ years! However, to ensure the switch to implant dentures in Lexington is seamless, read on for five tips!
5 Amazing Benefits of Dental Implants
Since dentures are a durable, tested solution that has been used for decades, many patients wonder why they should consider opting for dental implants instead. In addition to their impressive success rate, patients love dental implants because they are:
- The only restorative treatment option that prevents bone loss.
- Completely customized to seamlessly match the size, shape, and color of your other teeth.
- Built to restore your strong bite force.
- Cavity and stain-resistant.
- Low maintenance (you take care of them the same way you take care of your natural teeth).
Making the Switch: What to Expect
To ensure you are a good candidate for dental implants, your dentist will first conduct a thorough examination. During this portion of the process, they will check to see if you have an adequate amount of bone, have healthy gums, and can commit to a solid oral hygiene routine. From there, they will discuss the different options with you. For example, if you currently have dentures but don’t have enough bone density, they may recommend undergoing a bone graft or opting for implant-retained dentures. That way, you can safely get the durable, long-lasting results you deserve.
5 Tips for a Smooth Transition
Transitioning to dental implants may sound simple, but it is important to remember that it is a surgical procedure that necessitates proper healing. To help make the process smooth, make sure to:
- Implement a solid oral hygiene regimen before, during, and after your treatment.
- Quit poor dental habits (i.e., chewing on ice, using tobacco products, etc.).
- Avoid foods that can irritate the implant site or damage the implant itself.
- Attend all your post-op appointments.
- Stay in contact with your dentist throughout the healing process.
If your dentures are ill-fitting, negatively impacting your ability to chew, or affecting your speech, then it is time to talk to your dentist about making the transition to dental implants. That way, you can be well on the road to a full, healthy, beautiful smile!
About the Practice
The team at Dental Wellness of Lexington is united by their mission to deliver quality, courteous care in a clean, comfortable environment. At each appointment, Dr. Anthony Feck, Dr. Maxie Combs, and Dr. Carol Wilson take the time to genuinely listen to discover which of their comprehensive array of services is the best option for restoring your smile. If you are looking for a dentist in Lexington, visit their website or give them a call at 859-223-4644.